Tuesday, August 18, 2009



I was in th car with daddy yesterday evening. Just th two of us, cruising down th road, just taking a long quiet ride. That was th only thing I needed to make me feel better. Well, I was about to clear my mind from all th stressful thoughts until th song ''Stuck with each other" aired on th radio.
Daddy was driving through th old estates along Choa Chu Kang where we used to live, and that familiar playground appeared before my eyes as daddy made his turn.
I bit my lip tight, th song finally taking over my emotions. I took a slow deep breathe, trying my best to swallow th tears that were helplessly trickling down my face. Daddy felt th pain. I must've cried so hard.

Nicholas. That playground was where we used to play by th swings, messing ourselves up in th sandpit and picking those red sega seeds that fell from that shady big tree. Remember that tree, Nic?
Nic; I'm missing you. We grew up together, you never leaving my side. We were literally stuck with each other. You used to walk th bridge with Grammy whenever it was time to pick me up from school, despite all th pain you had to go through walking in your clutches. You would greet me with that warm ''J..." you tried your hardest to stutter. I miss you. I was only 5 then. Kids in school called you "alien" kids in school made fun of th way you spoke or moved. Kids in school made fun of us both. But you stood strong beside me. Never leaving me for a single second. Whenever I got grumpy and pushed th other kids who made fun of you. You would gently tug on my arm. I refused to see you being made a laughing stock and I wanted to hit those kids rly hard. But you stopped me. Nic, I miss you.

Remember that one time we were playing by th swing when you fell off and got yourself badly injured? You were hospitalized for a couple of months and Grammy would tell me "Nic misses you". It was that evening when I begged Uncle to bake th cookies and deliver them in a huge tin to you at th hospital. But your condition worsened and you left for th States without saying goodbye.

When I saw you two year's back at GrandAunt's wake. You've grown up. Taller than I am. But what didn't change was that smile of yours. I felt you looking at me, you do remember me, right Nic? You do. But you didn't approach me. We both felt we needed to say "Hi" but I guess.... Th both of us had grown up, each in our own ways having been 6 years apart. We left th wake without speaking to each other, but in our hearts we both knew how we felt. I miss you, Nic.

I am looking forward to Chinese New Year. Grammy told me you'd be back with Uncle Roger. And I pray so hard you will still remember me. I've got so much to share with you! Remember how I told you I'd find my prince charming one day but you will always shake your head and point at th "Monsters" on our storybooks? Well, when you are back..... I'll tell you a wonderful story about how I met my "CHARMING MONSTER" ok?

I miss you so much, Nicholas. I rly do.
I hope you are getting back in healthy shape, I miss you so much.
We'll sit by that shady tree. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment